Global Debut of the New 2018 Mazda 6 at Automobility LA
LOS ANGELES — Masahiro Moro, CEO of Mazda North American Operations, unveiled the redesigned 2018 Mazda 6 at a press event at Automobility LA today. It was the world's first look at the new sedan.
The Mazda 6 has received improvements every year it has been on sale. Updates for the previous model year added more sound insulation throughout its cabin and luxurious Nappa leather interior appointments.
The Interior of the 2018 Mazda 6
Mazda6 also received standard G-Vectoring Control, a Mazda-exclusive technology that makes steering response more direct and linear by using a minute reduction of engine torque at turn-in to put extra weight on the front tires.
Mazda 6's chassis has also been thoroughly revised to provide a more supple ride, greater agility and dramatically improved NVH (noise vibration and harshness). An optional interior features authentic materials—brown Nappa leather whose color Mazda says is inspired by the aged wood in ancient Japanese temples.
Perhaps the greatest upgrade of Mazda6 Signature is its source of motivation. Mazda's award-winning, SKYACTIV-G 2.5T gasoline turbo engine returns for its second application.
The SKYACTIV-G 2.5T is an engine renowned for its nearly instantaneous, ample torque, courtesy of its Dynamic Pressure Turbo, which accelerates exhaust gasses through a tiny inlet to quickly spool up its turbocharger at low RPM before opening a larger secondary passage to use throughout the engine's operational range. Mazda says the engine produces torque on par with a 4.0-liter V-8 engine.
Mazda6 was already a class favorite among discerning drivers and its new sedan continues the trend. Also at today's press only event, Mazda showed off its sporty MX 5 as well as a new futuristic concept vehicle called the Vision Coupe.
Mazda's Vision Coupe Concept Vehicle
- NHTSA Moving to Allow Adaptive Headlamps on Motor Vehicles in the U.S.
- Mercedes to Offer Level-3 Autonomous Driving on the Next S-Class
- EXCLUSIVE First Drive: The All New 2019 Fully-Electric Jaguar I-PACE
- BMW Upgrades the Battery & Range on the New 2019 Electric i3
- SEC Sues Tesla CEO Elon Musk for Lying to Investors
- Faraday Future Hires Former Director of Product Quality at GM North America
- Ford, Uber & Lyft Sign Agreement to Share Data to Help Reduce Traffic in Cities
- Lucid Motors Announces an Agreement to Access Electrify America's Ultra-Fast EV Charging Network