Innovation Shares Announces Launch Of Automotive NextGen Vehicle ETF
NEW YORK — Innovation Shares LLC, a sponsor of unique themed Exchange Traded Funds announced today the launch of the Innovation Shares NextGen Vehicles & Technology ETF (NYSE Arca: EKAR). The ETF is targeted at companies that are dealing with blockchain. The NextGen ETF is the first artificial intelligence (AI) driven ETF to provide investors with exposure to the universe of stocks involved in the growing categories of electric and autonomous vehicles.
Innovation Shares focuses on themes that investors are interested in but may have difficulty accessing. The company uses a AI powered natural language processing algorithm used to select stocks, which was developed at one of the world's largest quantitative hedge funds. By harnessing the potential of textual analysis, companies are identified that might otherwise be overlooked by traditional analytical research.
"The auto industry is poised to undergo a dramatic shift away from internal combustion engines to electric batteries. Meanwhile, the adoption of autonomous vehicles is being supported in numerous countries by a growing trend towards shared mobility and 'mobility-as-a-service,' as well as rapid technological advancements and an evolving regulatory environment," said Matt Markiewicz, Managing Director with Innovation Shares. "These trends are likely to upend not only the auto industry, but also the transportation of goods and people. EKAR is designed to provide a way for investors to participate in these rapidly emerging industries."
EKAR tracks an index designed to give investors exposure to a global basket of stocks that are closely involved in the growth of these markets, placing index constituents in one of four categories based on relevance.
The four categories that make up EKAR's underlying index are defined as follows:
Battery Producers: Companies that mine or produce materials, chemicals, and components that are used in the production of batteries.
OEMs: Companies that design, manufacture and/or distribute New Energy Vehicles (NEVs) and Autonomous Vehicles (AVs).
Suppliers: Companies that produce or distribute parts and components used in NEVs and AVs. This may include but not limited to thermal management (heating/cooling) systems & drivetrain elements (other than batteries).
Semiconductors & Software: Companies that produce semiconductors & software used in NEVs and AVs including but not limited to advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS), Light Detection & Ranging (LiDAR) and infotainment. Companies that develop software necessary for sensing, mapping and providing driving policy within NEVs and ADVs.
The index underlying EKAR was constructed utilizing a patent-pending natural language processing algorithm that screens for global stocks that are believed to have a current or future economic interest in the growth of electric and autonomous vehicles.
Recent estimates have found that autonomous driving technology could represent a $7 trillion global growth opportunity by 2050, dramatically altering the way goods are shipped, and the ways in which people travel and consume goods and services.
"Through the use of textual analysis and artificial intelligence, our approach is able to identify key companies that might otherwise not be identified by traditional analytical research," continued Markiewicz. "As with KOIN, we believe that innovative themes are best captured by innovative approaches to indexing, and that's exactly what we're bringing to investors with EKAR."
KOIN, the Innovation Shares NextGen Protocol ETF, began trading on January 30th and uses the same natural language processing approach in its underlying index to identify companies driving and benefiting from the growing use of blockchain technology.
- Waymo Launching Ride-Hailing Service in 2018 That May Rival Uber
- February 16, 2018 News of the Day: California Electric Company Partners with BMW Offering a $10,000 Rebate on a New BMW i3, Porsche to Challenge Tesla’s Model S with its 670 Horsepower Mission E
- Ricardo to Integrate Qualcomm’s HALO Wireless Charging for Electra Meccanica’s SOLO EV
- February 15, 2018 News of the Day: VW Looks at Apple for Guidance With Electric Car Design, Audi & Porsche to Jointly Develop and Share EV Platform
- Faraday Future Hosts Global Supplier Summit at its California Headquarters
- February 14, 2018 News of the Day: Tesla’s Plans to Open a Factory in China Stall as it Still Needs a Chinese Partner, Faraday Future Receives $1.5 Billion Lifeline
- OPTIS Releases New Lighting Simulation Software Optimized for Automotive Use
- February 13, 2018 News of the Day: Porsche Turns to 3D-Printing To Reproduce Classic Parts, Electric Vehicle Sharing Company Bird Founded by Former Lyft and Uber Execs Raises $15 Million