Ford's Innovative Solution for Trucks and SUVs
Ford is developing an innovative inflatable bumper for trucks and SUVs that is designed to enhance pedestrian safety. This development comes at a crucial time, as a recent study by the IIHS has confirmed that trucks and SUVs with large, blocky front ends pose a higher risk to pedestrians compared to other vehicles.
The IIHS has been advocating for changes to the design of these large vehicles, but it is important to note that the wall-like front ends of trucks and SUVs serve practical purposes. For example, they can increase the approach angle of off-roaders like the F-150 Raptor.
However, Ford has discovered a potential solution to improve pedestrian safety without altering the overall design of these vehicles. CarBuzz has uncovered a patent filed by Ford at the United States Patent and Trademark Office, which outlines the concept of an inflatable bumper.
This inflatable bumper aims to provide an additional layer of protection for pedestrians without compromising the existing design. While this solution introduces some complexity and cost, it could be a significant step towards reducing the risk of pedestrian accidents involving trucks and SUVs.
- MG's 2024 Plans: Flagship SUV and ICE Line-Up Refresh
- Stellantis CEO adeptly addresses challenging queries from auto dealers
- Suttie's Weeklong Adventure in a Honda ZR-V Hybrid SUV
- New Restrictions on Sales of Petrol, Diesel, and Hybrid Vehicles
- Renault Bigster Arriving in South Africa by 2026
- Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels - Hungary plant expansion meets high demand.
- Fiat Titano Shares Peugeot Landtrek DNA
- Chery starts electric vehicle production in Indonesia