Global Debut of the New 2018 Mazda 6 at Automobility LA
LOS ANGELES — Masahiro Moro, CEO of Mazda North American Operations, unveiled the redesigned 2018 Mazda 6 at a press event at Automobility LA today. It was the world's first look at the new sedan.
The Mazda 6 has received improvements every year it has been on sale. Updates for the previous model year added more sound insulation throughout its cabin and luxurious Nappa leather interior appointments.
The Interior of the 2018 Mazda 6
Mazda6 also received standard G-Vectoring Control, a Mazda-exclusive technology that makes steering response more direct and linear by using a minute reduction of engine torque at turn-in to put extra weight on the front tires.
Mazda 6's chassis has also been thoroughly revised to provide a more supple ride, greater agility and dramatically improved NVH (noise vibration and harshness). An optional interior features authentic materials—brown Nappa leather whose color Mazda says is inspired by the aged wood in ancient Japanese temples.
Perhaps the greatest upgrade of Mazda6 Signature is its source of motivation. Mazda's award-winning, SKYACTIV-G 2.5T gasoline turbo engine returns for its second application.
The SKYACTIV-G 2.5T is an engine renowned for its nearly instantaneous, ample torque, courtesy of its Dynamic Pressure Turbo, which accelerates exhaust gasses through a tiny inlet to quickly spool up its turbocharger at low RPM before opening a larger secondary passage to use throughout the engine's operational range. Mazda says the engine produces torque on par with a 4.0-liter V-8 engine.
Mazda6 was already a class favorite among discerning drivers and its new sedan continues the trend. Also at today's press only event, Mazda showed off its sporty MX 5 as well as a new futuristic concept vehicle called the Vision Coupe.
Mazda's Vision Coupe Concept Vehicle
- Electric Adventure Vehicle Maker Rivian Announces a $700 Million Investment Led by Amazon
- California DMV Publishes Self-Driving Car Disengagement Report, Waymo is Still the Leader
- Silicon Valley Robotics Startup Nuro Raises Nearly $1 Billion in Latest Funding Round
- Amazon Enters the Self-Driving Car Space with Investment in Aurora
- Ford is Testing a ‘Visual Language’ to Help Self-Driving Cars Communicate with Pedestrians
- Toyota Establishes a New Company Named “KINTO” That Will Offer Car Subscriptions
- Google to Develop Self-Driving Taxis with the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Auto Alliance
- Audi e-tron is the First EV Using the EEBUS Standard for Charging