Swiss Technology Company ABB Unveils the ‘Terra 360', the World's Most Powerful EV Charger
Swiss technology company ABB unveiled its latest EV charger on Thursday called the "Terra 360" that can add 60 miles of range in just three minutes.
ABB says it's the world's most powerful EV charger, delivering charging rates up to 360 kW, which can fully charge an electric vehicle's battery in just 15 minutes. For comparison, Tesla's new V3 Superchargers support peak rates of up to 250kW per car.
The charger is the newest in the family of ABB's Terra EV chargers.
The Terra 360 is a modular charger which can simultaneously charge up to four vehicles at once and is built with dynamic power distribution. This setup means that drivers will not have to wait if somebody else is already charging ahead of them. They simply pull up to another open plug.
The powerful charger will be first available in Europe by the end of the year. ABB plans to expand the Terra 360 to the U.S., Latin America and Asia Pacific regions sometime in 2022.
"With governments around the world writing public policy that favors electric vehicles and charging networks to combat climate change, the demand for EV charging infrastructure, especially charging stations that are fast, convenient and easy to operate is higher than ever," said Frank Muehlon, President of ABB's E-mobility Division. "The Terra 360, with charging options that fit a variety of needs, is the key to fulfilling that demand and accelerating e-mobility adoption globally."
ABB's Terra 360 charger uses an innovative lighting system that guides the user through the charging process. It displays the State of Charge (SoC) of the vehicle's battery as well as the time remaining before the end of an optimal charge session.
The Terra 360 also wheelchair accessible and features an ergonomic cable management system that helps drivers plug in quickly with minimal fuss.
The Terra 360 is primarily designed to serve private EV drivers at gas stations, convenience stores and retail locations. Terra 360 chargers can also be installed at businesses to charge electric vehicle fleets, including cars, vans and trucks.
The charger also has a small footprint, so they can be installed in areas where space is at a premium.
Since ABB sells its EV chargers to various charging operators, the Terra 360 is fully customizable. To personalize the appearance, customers can add their company logo or change the color of the LED light strips on the charger. There is also the option to include an integrated 27" advertisement screen to play video and pictures, like those found on many gas pumps today.
"It's an exciting day for ABB, who as the global leader in electric vehicle fast charging, is playing a key role in enabling a low carbon society," said Theodor Swedjemark, Chief Communications and Sustainability Officer at ABB.
ABB entered the e-mobility market in 2010, and today has sold more than 460,000 electric vehicle chargers across more than global 88 markets, including 21,000 DC fast chargers and 440,000 AC chargers.
- The Mercedes-Benz Unveils the ‘SUSTAINEER’ Electric Concept Van, Designed for Sustainable Urban Mobility
- General Motors’ Commercial Electric Truck Business BrightDrop to Setup a Dealer Network
- Panasonic Unveils a Large Prototype Battery That’s Designed to Help Tesla Lower EV Production Costs
- The Apple Car Project Has Reportedly Stalled Due to Unreasonable Demands Put on Chinese Battery Suppliers CATL & BYD
- The Netherlands Forensic Institute Claims it Has Decoded Tesla's Vehicle Data By Reverse Engineering
- Volkswagen’s China-made ID.3 Electric Car Will Officially Launch on Oct 22
- Toyota to Invest $3.4 Billion Through 2030 in Electric Vehicle Battery Production in the U.S.
- Volkswagen Group’s Electric Vehicle Sales Double in Q3, YTD Sales Are Up 138% Compared to 2020